Deo Gratias is Latin for “Thanks be to God.” Remembering to give thanks for all of our blessings, big and small, helps us to find God in our everyday moments and gives us an attitude of gratitude! Colleen at Thoughts on Grace has organized this meme and you can contribute by clicking here. This week I’m thankful for:
- My friend Kristyn’s visit. We met when teaching in Jinan and she now teaches in Wisconsin. She was able to visit from Thurs. to Monday. It was a grab time to share and explore as we had in China.
- With Kristyn, who’s of Polish descent, I went to mass at a Polish church I’d passed thousands of times in my life. I was not prepared for the glory and splendor. Holy Trinity church is right by the highway and is a vibrant parish.
- Garfield Park Conservatory. We wanted to see some green in the gray of January. It’s a 2 acre greenhouse full of lush plants. They have lots of activities for children and it’s free!
- Sherlock Holmes stories. My book club is reading “The Empty House” and The Sign of Four. I’d forgotten how gripping and well told these stories are.
- Saving Mr. Banks, a witty, positive movie with a good story, good acting from a cast led by Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks. I loved being drawn into a well told story that had no violence, foul language or gratuitous sex. Not to sound Puritanical but such films are just so much more life giving!