Deo Gratias is Latin for “Thanks be to God.” Remembering to give thanks for all of our blessings, big and small, helps us to find God in our everyday moments and gives us an attitude of gratitude! Colleen at Thoughts on Grace has organized this meme and you can contribute by clicking here. This week I’m thankful for:
- The Nutcracker. I just got home from seeing a wonderful ballet at the new cultural center. I’m so thankful that we can now see affordable ballet, by the National Russian Ballet Theater just a 20 minute drive from here. Lots of people went and many brought their children. It’s wonderful to see children getting introduced to culture.
- Splendid Italian food at my friend Ben’s restaurant Bon Appetit. A friend and I went today and had a great lunch. Next we interviewed him for a radio program my friend’s daughter produces. It was completely freelance so there’s no certainty that the interview will get on the air, but I do think it’s a good story – an American man moves his family to China to open an Italian restaurant. If it doesn’t get on the radio, I plan to write up the story for a newspaper.
- Swan Lake. It’s an embarrassment of riches, but another friend and I saw a Ukrainian company perform the ballet Swan Lake on Friday night. Such grace! Such elegance!
- The semester is done! I’ve handed in my grades and can take my time preparing to return to the U.S. I fly back on Friday..
- My friends Lolita, Cathy and Matt. We all taught together and everyone was so dedicated and conscientious. I’m really sorry that the school won’t welcome Lolita and Cathy back due to a new “age limit,” which is completely illegal in the US, but the Chinese don’t care that they’re requiring the US partner to discriminate based on age. Best wishes to Cathy and Lolita. Any school would be lucky to have them.